Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's so hard to work with leather....

I've been working with leather for over 7 years and its never been easy. It doesn't behave like fabric. If you put a hole in leather it's forever. So you have to get it right the first time. There's no pinning. If you have to pull a seam, you're screwed. That's why leather is more expensive than fabric. That and a few other reasons. I have so many orders to work on, but I just had to get the bags out of the way. I love my designer bag because I made it completely from scratch. The pattern is a huge platter from Crate & Barrel that I bought years ago. I told you I have this crazy insane fetish about round things. If you come into my home you'd see round things everywhere.


Since I've been making leather goods for so long, I've learned a few things.  I think I'll write an article on it and give a few tips.  Admittedly,  working with leather requires a lot of specialized tools and equipment, but there are a couple of leathers that can be sewn on everyday sewing machines. I'll have the article ready in a week or two. Stay tuned.


In the meantime, here are the finished bags. All done.


[caption id="attachment_251" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Lunar 3 Collection"][/caption]

No comments: