Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Simply Must Have It!!! - Black Nail Color

A few days ago a local customer ordered one of my Santa Barbara Off Shoulder Dresses in Pumpkin. I think she was getting in the proper fall season frame of mind because she mentioned looking for the perfect black nail polish to wear for Halloween. The Santa Barbara Off Shoulder Dress is very popular this time of year because the Pumpkin is a perfect fall color.. Imagine it with shiny black nail color!




[caption id="attachment_305" align="aligncenter" width="800" caption="Santa Barbara Off Shoulder Dress"]Colour - Pumpkin[/caption]


Keeping in with the Halloween spirit, I'd like to feature three Black nail polishes that I'm familiar with.




Opi Black Onyx  Ebay $5.00




[caption id="attachment_308" align="alignleft" width="163" caption="Opi Black Onyx"][/caption]





















Avon Warm Black Ebay $3.99




[caption id="attachment_311" align="alignleft" width="249" caption="Avon Warm Black"][/caption]






















Chanel Black Satin  Ebay $21




[caption id="attachment_314" align="alignleft" width="221" caption="Chanel Black Satin"][/caption]

























I own all of the nail colors listed above so I figure I can at least give you my take on them. Yes. I actually have 3 different black nail colors, and they are not the same. Each one has subtle differences in the color, tone, texture, performance and also price.


First off, the economy brand is definitely Avon. It's not too expensive and performance wise, I don't feel it holds up as well as the Chanel  or Opi brand. Nevertheless, I use it faithfully and consider it my everyday use black nail color. I'm not sure if Avon even still makes this color, but that would never slow me down, so long as someone is selling it on Ebay.


The Chanel is awesome. For $21 it had better be! The Chanel is my special occasion black. It tends to hold up best with less chipping and flaking, but is that because I dare not stick my $21 a pop nail polished hands in dishwater or because it's actually that good? I don't know.


Once upon a time, I believed all nail polish was created equal. That was until I got my first bottle of Opi.  Opi Nail Color comes in more shades than I can count. It's expensive. Locally I could pay around $12, so I always buy it on Ebay for half that. But what I love is the Opi website. This is where you can choose a nail color, a hand the same tone as yours and virtually try it on before you buy it. You can even control the nail length on the hand too! So I really enjoy visiting the site to try on my next shade before I decide on what to buy. I already know their formula is awesome. I tend to use Opi Black Onyx whenever I just feel like treating myself special. I admit, it's my favorite.


http://www.opi.com/




So what can I say about the different shades of black? Well the Chanel has just a bit of pearling in it and tends to look great with silver accessories and just about any color clothing. The Avon would be great for Halloween because it's a very flat black, with a brown undertone. Very graveyard-ish. LOL!  And the Opi is a black black. Meaning. It's a very basic black color and probably the one most likely to look like what you would expect a black nail color to look.


I really didn't mean to write a review when I first started out with this article. But since I had all of them on hand, it was the only direction I could take. Like they say, write about what you know. I've already got all of them, but for the Halloween season, YOU simply must have it!




SharonH



No comments: