Sunday, December 5, 2010

For The Love of Linen

One of my biggest customers recently asked me to make a hooded linen dress. Her specs were that it had to have a hood. It had to be big enough to be a pull over. (Linen doesn't stretch.) Keep it simple. Make it around 44in long. She choose orchid for the color. It took me a while to do this because I had to create a mock up first using muslin. Here is the finished dress.

It has plenty of pleats and the hood is generously cut. I added a unique biased neckline. I also added slit pockets. It's simple. So I also added a tie belt cut on the bias.

Linen is one of my most favorite fabrics to work with. I just love the clean lines and the texture. I love how if you wash it, it's super soft but if you get it dry cleaned, it has a more tailored feel to it. Yes, it stays wrinkled and rumbled looking but that's part of its charm.

SharonH

No comments: