Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thrust into the Fashion World

When I thought about doing A, I never considered that it would get me to B. What am I talking about? A = designing clothes. B= fashion world. I started out with a clear enough plan. I was going to begin making clothes again. I was going to sell the clothes on Etsy. That was it. That was the area I wanted to grow in. That isn't how it has turned out. There is so much more growth behind the Etsy scene that they don't even compare. Next thing I know, I'm doing my very first fashion show. Oh don't get me wrong. This is a good thing. The local exposure is great! I have now been asked to participate in a second fashion show. This one is bigger with a lot more exposure, with plenty of time to solidify my 2010 - 2011 collection. I didn't have that kind of time with the first fashion show. So I really look forward to putting my skills to the test with this one.

Even before the first fashion show, I found myself meeting with photographers, models and making decisions that didn't have anything to do with what fabric I would be using for a piece. Suddenly I had been thrust into the fashion world. When you see the fashion world depicted on TV it seems like a world all its own because it is. In the fashion industry, the question is never ever "Is that pretty or ugly?". The question is "Will it sell?" It's the first thing you learn in fashion design. And Vogue magazine becomes your bible. Your priorities change. You learn to speak a different language. You learn fashion.

I'm pretty sure like any artist, designers have dry spells when they just can't pull together a cohesive look. I'm not suffering from that right now. The exact opposite! The ideas are just flowing through my head to the point I hardly have time to do all the things I'd like to do. So I've decided to approach each idea one at a time. I will be listing my new designs on Etsy, but also getting ready for the upcoming fashion show. Question is... can I really get it all done in time? (Sigh) We shall see.

No comments: