Monday, September 7, 2009

Love What I Do

A few weeks ago, a major company (2nd largest in the world) told me that I was going to be laid off at the end of the year. Yes, I was upset, but only for about 20 mins. I had been given my date. It was now official. They had no more use for me. Well like anyone, I sat down and thought about it and 20 mins later, I didn't have anymore use for them. Here was my one shot chance to break free from corporate America and do what I love.

So I've been piecing together my plans to open my own business. This really has been a step by step process. I mean the getting from point A to point B. I knew where I would be come Jan 1, 2010 (short of dying), that's point A. So I had to figure out where the hell is point B? You gotta know where you'd like to go before you can get there. Figuring this out didn't happen overnight. I had to ask myself, what do I want to do with my business? Did I want to just create leather goods in my workroom? Yes? No? Who do I want to sell them to? Can I make this plan bigger? So my plan went from doing craft shows at the beginning of the year, just to pay the bills, to doing trade shows a year later.

I'm at the very beginning of the journey from point A to point B. My very first craft show (in over 12 years) is one month away. Let's just call it a baby craft show. It's at a church. Tables were cheap. I decided to give it a try. Needless to say, this has lead to how I'm going to pull off the larger ones from January onward. It's like a practice run. Already I can see, I'm not going to be nearly as ready or as polished up as I plan to be in January. No money for it right now. But that's okay. I have a plan and damn if I don't love what I do!

No comments: