Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Simply Must Have It!!!! - TiVo Slider Remote



[caption id="" align="alignright" width="80" caption="Image via CrunchBase"]Image representing TiVo as depicted in CrunchBase[/caption]


First off, I'd like to apologize for not keeping this article mired in the fashion industry and taking it to a tech level. But I had to remain true to the title. I Simply Must Have It! Just 5 minutes after finding out about the brand new TiVo Slide Remote, I had my credit card in hand and I was ordering it. Hell, I don't think it was 5 min. before I had an email payment confirmation.


About TiVo.


I'm not a real tech-y person, but I can tell you about TiVo. TiVo is a subscription DVR service that started up in 1999 out of California. My personal history with TiVo started in 2001. That's when I bought my very first expensive TiVo box for $5oo and began paying monthly for the service.  Almost 10 years later and I'm still paying for the service.  A couple of years later the rest of the world began to get DVR service through their local cable and satellite providers, but those DVRs paled in comparison to TiVo.


I've tried to quit TiVo. I told myself, "It's all the same DVR service. Save some money and use the cable DVR." Now mind you, I've done this a couple of time over the last nine years. The last time was 2 years ago after Hurricane Ike came through Houston, tore a sunny hole in my roof and caused over $10,000 worth of damage. Three months later and I was begging TiVo to take me back.


What's so great about TiVo?


Well it's a DVR  just like the one some of you have on your cable and satellite systems.  It's how TiVo does things that, I think, really stands out and sets itself apart from the other DVR services. Remember, I'm not real tech-y so my descriptions may be off. One of the most noticeable things I remember the last time I stupidly quit TiVo for 3 month was that Dish Network didn't have Season Pass. Instead of allowing me to record just the new stuff for.... say CSI Miami, I'd have to record all of it, hundreds of programs because it couldn't accurately differentiate the new shows from the old. TiVo does that. Then there's the Wishlist search, which can be based on keyword, title, actor, director, and or category.  Meaning I could set up TiVo to find and automatically record every movie Denzel Washington is in that come on TV. Forever. Or not. Or I can be more specific and set it to record Denzel's "Book of Eli" whenever it finally comes on TV. Now that could be 6 weeks or 6 years from now, and TiVo is going to record it. I don't have to think about anymore. I don't have to check back.  Just one day, the movie I've been waiting for is going to pop up in my Now Playing List. This is just one of two or three other features that I'd gotten used to and can't live without or can't live with some other DVR services' version.


[caption id="attachment_448" align="aligncenter" width="263" caption="TiVo Slide Remote"][/caption]

Here are the specs just in case someone else besides me actually has TiVo and is interested in the details. OMG folks! It's got a QWERTY board!!!! It's slides open! No more shuffling through each letter to enter a word. I gladly paid $107 for this remote with shipping and taxes. List priced at $90 on TiVo.


Introducing the TiVo remote with a slideout keyboard.


The TiVo® Slide remote puts the full power of TiVo in the palm of your hand. Hidden inside its ergonomic, peanut-shaped exterior is a fully retractable QWERTY keyboard for quick and easy text entry.

  • Finger-friendly slideout keyboard: Full QWERTY-format keyboard enables faster and easier text entry for Search, YouTube™, RSS and more

  • More powerful signal: Built-in Bluetooth® provides increased range and strength to accommodate clutter-free setups inside cabinets

  • One remote does it all: Learns commands for power, input, volume and mute directly from the remote controls of your TV and receiver

  • Easy to use in a dark room: Light sensor automatically activates glow feature on backlit keys and keyboard, so you never have to turn on a light

  • One-step activation takes seconds: Easy plug-and-play setup puts you in control in moments

  • Compatible with all TiVo Series3™, TiVo HD/HD XL, and Premiere/Premiere XL boxes. (If you received your TiVo Premiere from RCN, check back for updates on the availability of TiVo Slide for your box.)


So I love TiVo. I'm happy with TiVo. Maybe in a few years I'll get up the nerve to check out ATT U-verse. I did hear they have an awesome DVR service. TiVo doesn't give you  the ability to view recordings on any TV in the house unless you buy an expensive TiVo box for each TV. U-Verse one upped TiVo on that. But for now, that new TiVo Slider Remote...I simply had to have it! I even paid $3 more for 2-day shipping and its coming tomorrow via UPS. I can't wait!!!!


SharonH



No comments: